Mmm granola, it has been done before, but after smelling batch after small batch toast away, I wanted to make a small batch myself. I wanted this small batch to feature at least one of the bags of dried coconut that keeps falling off of my shelf (I might have gone a little crazy in the bulk dried fruit section). So coconut was the starting point. While pondering over this granola I decided that I really don't like dried fruit in my granola. It messes with the texture. This granola has a very uninterrupted texture, just toasted oats, coconut and almonds. It might benefit from a little ground ginger or tiny diced crystallized ginger, if you are into that kind of thing. I have been tossing a handful of this nutty, coconut blend over yogurt with some fresh mango and it is delightful.
Almond Coconut Granola adapted from Gourmet
3 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
6 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut and salt.
3. In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring until combined. Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.
4. Spread the oat mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet (it may take two pans). Bake in middle of oven, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
5. Cool before serving. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 weeks.