Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chickpea and Cucumber Salad with Fresh Mint



It has been a month of power food. My accidental overextending of myself led to many 14 hour days of exciting and yet draining adventures. I have tried surviving days like these by powering up on coffee but that just leaves me jittery and anxious for 14 hours, not so great. Instead I eat. It is the 7 snacks a day diet that keeps me full of energy and gusto. I have been toting this chickpea salad around with me everywhere. If there is time I dump it on top of salad greens, but if I just need food as quickly as possible, I eat it straight. I love the combination of the hearty chickpeas, cool cucumbers and fresh mint. It is a really simple mix but it has kept me going for days. 
Chickpea and Cucumber Salad with Fresh Mint adapted from Martha Stewart


2 cans chickpeas
1 english cucumber
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
3 tablespoons minced shallots (optional)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste


1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve salad at room temperature. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were since you haven't posted recently. The chickpea recipe looks good, something easy to make and store in the fridge. Hope those 14 hour days end soon.