Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rhubarb Popsicles with Blueberries

I have been craving homemade popsicles since I read an article on boozy ice pops. Even I am shocked that my first popsicles of summer are booze free. But I had a surplus of rhubarb and some beautiful Washington blueberries and after hearing about bluebarb pie, I couldn't resist freezing them up together. The rhubarb was cooked down with sugar and orange zest, but I couldn't bring myself to puree the blueberries. I really hate to destroy the perfect shape and texture of my favorite berry. Plus the color contrast in these babies is quite nice. It has been a great week of enjoying a great popsicle in the sun after an afternoon of working in the garden, I just can't decide what flavor I should move onto next. 
Rhubarb Popsicles with Blueberries 
Inspired by People's Pops


Makes 6-10 popsicles


1 pound rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 cups of water
1 cup blueberries 


1. Chop rhubarb into 1-inch pieces.
2. Combine with sugar, orange zest and water in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the rhubarb starts to break down, 5-10 minutes. 
3. Let cool. Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender. 
6. Drop a few blueberries into your ice-pop molds and then fill with rhubarb puree. Leave about a half-inch of head space to allow for expansion. 
7. Freeze overnight. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss your updates. It's time to post a picture of your canned foods.